A month ago, Primal TOAD asked a simple question “If You Could Only Live on 9 Foods, What Would They Be?” The game is basically “desert island discs” but with food instead of music. I just stumbled across it, and it seems like a great exercise – something kinda fun, but at the same time, a good look at how people eat and how their preferences dictate their diet.
So, without further ado, here is my list.
1. Steelhead – Take the best salmon you’ve ever had and turn it up to 11. Yes, it’s so good that I used one of the three “This is Spinal Tap” references I have left for the year.
2. Beef steak – it’s versatile, and theoretically you could grind it, shred it, cube it, grill it, broil it, braise it or hell, just eat it raw.
3. Onions – I add these to almost everything. They can offer a real change.
4. Portabello mushrooms – again, delicious and they can be thrown in soups, eggs, stir fries, you name it.
5. Butternut squash – it’s a sweet and hearty vegetable. What’s not to like?
6. Bacon – Nothing more to say, here. Not only this, but a byproduct of bacon is bacon grease, which is terrific to cook with.
7. Eggs – Use them in anything. They’re easy to grow, too!
8. Broccoli – Delicious and good for you. We eat this all the time.
9. Macadamia nuts – these may be the most delicious nut on the planet. Bet you can’t eat just one handful!
I found that paleo erin did the same thing, as well as paleo at penn. Both are interesting reads. I think it’s interesting to see the differences and similarities (for instance, chicken breast didn’t even enter the top 25 list, let alone the top 9.
Anyone else have a top 9 list they’d be willing to share?